[tei-council] attribute/datatype data updated

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Jul 7 06:31:38 EDT 2005

Syd Bauman wrote:
> The database of TEI attributes and their suggsted datatypes has been
> updated. I fixed dozens of errors, but I have this knawing feeling
> that I introduced a couple of new ones. :-)
>
> In any case, follow the link to the PHP interface from ED W 90, which
> has also been updated a teeny bit (on the UVA server, which seems to
> be down again), and is at
>   http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/edw90.xml?style=printable
>   http://www.tei-c.org.uk/Drafts/edw90.xml?style=printable
>
> I think it is probably a bit much to ask every Council member to look
> at all 541 entries before Fri morning. But every Council member
> should certainly read ED W 90 (and feel free to ask questions on or
> off list if there are parts you don't understand -- or to suggest
> corrections to any explanations that are hard to understand, etc.)
> and at least scan the database of attributes. Search for the
> attributes you care about. Scan for "?"; sort the list by suggested
> declaration and look for weird ones; look through those that are
> declared as tei.data.code to see if there are any you think should be
> tei.data.key or tei.data.enumerated; etc.

Why is tei.data.duration set up defaultly not to allow plurals?  Things take 3
weeks (or longer :-) ) not 3 week.  I think in addition to wk/yr/week/year/month
there should be wks/yrs/weeks/years/months.  I would abbreviate month as
mnth/mnths, if I did at all.

Some random thoughts on http://dev.stg.brown.edu/staff/Syd_Bauman/edw90.php :

@calendar = What about Lunar & Solar (as more vague types of astronomical?),
Gregorian? I believe the Tibetan calendar is different from the Chinese one. I
would personally like 'Regnal' since many of the dates I've used are in an
English Regnal calendar.  (I.e. 5 Edward III for the 5th year of the reign of
Edward III).  'Fiscal' could be another type of calendar, since that fixes each
month a a specific number of weeks to facilitate economic comparisons.  Maybe
'Liturgical'...but there are different ones depending on faith.  There are
others at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_calendars

@character on <hand>  Are 'Shaky', 'Thick' and 'Regular' the appropriate
palaeographic terms?  I realise it has tei.data.token as well, but surely
something can be 'Thin' but not 'Shaky'?  (Sounds like milkshakes...)

@cols/@columns = I've not looked at this at all, but it just seems strange that
these are different datatypes.  So I just mention it to remind me to look at it!

@date on <birth> = Why not tei.data.temporalExpression?

@ed on <milestone> = point to xml:id on <text> maybe?

@exact = I think I agree with the comment.

@feature on <shift> = should include tei.data.token ?

@form on <biblItem> = Should other formats be included? video.MPEG7 audio.MP3?
Or does this relate only to the physical form?  Also, what about 'webpage'?

@place = Should these include tei.data.token for transcriptions of non-standard
objects?

@type on <recording> = Would 'data' or some such be a possibility for recordings
that are of data that is not either audio or video? Not sure if anyone would use it.

@type on <abbr> = ugh.  Shouldn't 'acronym' go into the list with title/org/etc.
since is both the reason for an abbr while also the method?  Why is
superscription by itself?  Is the list allowing just one of each of these
values, or can something be suspension and contraction?

@type on <camera> = Should possible values use industry standard abbreviations
or be human readable: WA - wide angle, HA - high angle, LA - low angle, CU -
close up, Bird's-Eye View, ECU - extreme close up, LS - long shot, OTS - over
the shoulder (as in interviews), pan (left-to-right or right-to-left), tilt (up
and down) zoom (in or out).  These of course can be combined and don't include
other camera effects and cuts (like 'fade to black', etc.).

@unit on <milestone> = 'folio'?

@value on <date> = why tei.data.pointer?  I must not understand how that works.

@zone = tei.timezone ?

Just things which occurred to me while scanning through,

-James