[tei-council] some reports in

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Jul 5 01:13:45 EDT 2005

Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu> writes:

> Julia's review of Chapter 9, base prose for verse, is now available at
> http://www.tei-c.org/Council/ChapterReviews/VE.xml?style=printable.
> BTW, don't blame Julia for it's being a day later than promised. She
> sent it to me & Susan to put up on Thu, it was my confusion that
> caused the delay.

Now that tei-c.org is up again, we can even get it from the US source.

Thanks to Julia for very useful suggestions in improving the chapter.

For the purpose of discussion, I will paste Julia's document in here
and add my comments:

JF>1. Fixes
JF>1.1. Make <lg> legal within <p>
JF>
JF>Research by both the Women Writers Project and the Menota Project
JF>indicates that there are cases where passages of verse appear directly
JF>within the flow of prose, embedded within a paragraph, and not
JF>enclosed within a quotation. Examples include cases where the text
JF>shifts from verse to prose in mid-sentence (as in Nordic prosimetrum
JF>texts; see ‘Document Structure’ in The Menota Handbook) or where a
JF>speaker in a fictional context begins to compose poetry orally in the
JF>middle of a speech.

Agreed.  I have stumbled over this one a number of times. This should be fixed.

JF>1.2. Eliminate numbered <lg>
JF>
JF>On same basis as eliminating numbered <div>.

Do we get rid of the latter?  Even if not, I am all in favor of
eliminating enumerated <lg>.

JF>2. Expansions
JF>2.1. Add attributes
JF>
JF>The Henrik Ibsen project has extended the TEI to add the following attributes to the a.metrical class:
JF>
JF>    * met and realMet : for identifying the ideal and real metrical scheme for the line or line group
JF>    * rhyme and realRhyme : for identifying the ideal and real rhyme scheme for the line group
JF>    * an and realAn : for identifying ideal and real patterns of
JF>    anacruses (unstressed syllables preceding the first stressed
JF>    syllable in a line) for a line or line group
JF>
JF>
JF>The Ibsen project leaves the original TEI real attribute untouched,
JF>but this new scheme renders it redundant (replacing it with
JF>realMet). Of these three attribute pairs, probably the first two are
JF>most generally useful to the TEI community; we have asked the Ibsen
JF>group to give a more detailed rationale for an and realAn, which seem
JF>to replicate the same kind of information as met and realMet.

We should probably consider this in the context of the discussion of
all the other attributes.

JF>The Ibsen project defines these as CDATA attributes...
JF>2.2. Stressed vowels
JF>
JF>David Birnbaum mentioned that in his poetry markup he needs to mark
JF>stressed vowels, in addition to the ordinary metrical information for
JF>the line. He suggests a <stress> element, but has not yet elaborated
JF>on this suggestion. We've requested further information from him on
JF>this point.

I wonder how that would be used.  Would you do something like
h<stress>e</stress>re

JF>3. Clarifications and discussion
JF>3.1. Verse and overlap
JF>
JF>Martin Mueller suggested that we add a section to the verse chapter
JF>that explicitly addresses overlap in the context of verse, since the
JF>presence of verse lines heightens the likelihood of routine overlap
JF>problems that also occur elsewhere. At present, overlap is discussed
JF>only as a byproduct of segmentation (e.g. to capture part-lines and
JF>encoding of metrical feet). If it were instead broken out into a
JF>subsection of its own, we could also:
JF>
JF>
JF>    * discuss the fact that verse by its nature is more likely to incur overlap problems;
JF>    * point out a few of the most likely overlap issues (encoding of
JF>    quotations and sentences, but also thematic tagging if that is
JF>    present);
JF>
JF>    * list the most common ways of handling these situations
JF>    (fragmentation of quotations using next and prev; the possibility
JF>    of using part on elements other than <l>; use of milestone
JF>    elements for things like sentence boundaries
JF>
JF>
JF>For some parts of this we might just point to elsewhere in the
JF>Guidelines, but the pointers should be there so that people are aware
JF>of the issues and their solution.

This looks like a useful addition to the chapter to me.

> My first cut at attributes and datatypes is available at
> http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/edw90.xml?style=printable. I'm afraid the
> database of devilish details I had hoped to have ready for you is not
> quite up to snuff. You can see an out-of-date version (link is in the
> paper), but it's just too painful to make the current stuff live
> right now. Hopefully in two or three days.

Thanks Syd!

There is a link to your harddisk in that paper (for the W3C regex),
but the php link now seems to be live now, right.

 Christian Wittern