[tei-council] directory layout of a TEI distribution

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Jul 4 03:26:48 EDT 2005

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

> Christian Wittern wrote:
>

>>Hmm.  Now the exemplars are scattered all over the place, which will
>>make it difficult to get a coherent view of them...
>>
> but thats inevitable, surely? the runtime files, the documentation (two
> forms),
> and the source don't belong in the same tree, once you start down the
> Linux-like route.
>
>> Honestly, I would
>>see them as part of the documentation (documenting different aspects)
>>and thus would prefer to see them in one tree under doc/tei/examplars.
>>

> but they are also runtime files (schemas). which I currently
> put under schema/relaxng/p5, but now I see that it does not
> seem quite right
>
> its difficult to reconcile the "debian package" view, which
> has no problem with all the files in one directory, because the
> package metadata discriminates, and the "human" view
> which wants to put files in lots of small directories so that they
> can be more easily moved around

On Debian, you could at least use symlinks from somewhere in the doc
substree to all these other places.  But maybe I am just being
stubborn and this is not needed at all...

>>On a slightly different note, where are users supposed to put the
>>stuff they get from Roma?  At least for oXygen, that should also fit
>>into the overall framework, shouldnt it?
>>

> either
>    share/tei/xml/schema/relaxng/p5/local
> or
>    share/tei/xml/schema/relaxng/local
> I am not sure which. Is it subsidiary to p5
> or in parallel?

Rather subsidiary, I would think.

> of course, many people on Linux won't have access to that tree
> at all.

Wouldnt it be rather

/usr/local/share/tei/xml/schema whatever

on these systems?

Anyway, I just wanted to be sure that we do have a "recommended
location", since that will probably make it easier to write tutorials,
software etc.

All the best,

Christian

--