[tei-council] directory layout of a TEI distribution

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Jul 4 02:32:02 EDT 2005

Christian Wittern wrote:

>Hmm.  Now the exemplars are scattered all over the place, which will
>make it difficult to get a coherent view of them...

but thats inevitable, surely? the runtime files, the documentation (two
forms),
and the source don't belong in the same tree, once you start down the
Linux-like route.

> Honestly, I would
>see them as part of the documentation (documenting different aspects)
>and thus would prefer to see them in one tree under doc/tei/examplars.

but they are also runtime files (schemas). which I currently
put under schema/relaxng/p5, but now I see that it does not
seem quite right

its difficult to reconcile the "debian package" view, which
has no problem with all the files in one directory, because the
package metadata discriminates, and the "human" view
which wants to put files in lots of small directories so that they
can be more easily moved around

>On a slightly different note, where are users supposed to put the
>stuff they get from Roma?  At least for oXygen, that should also fit
>into the overall framework, shouldnt it?

either
   share/tei/xml/schema/relaxng/p5/local
or
   share/tei/xml/schema/relaxng/local
I am not sure which. Is it subsidiary to p5
or in parallel?

of course, many people on Linux won't have access to that tree
at all.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk