[tei-council] another agenda item

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Jun 27 01:18:21 EDT 2005

Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu> writes:

> What is the eXist development model?

To provide a snapshot every couple of (days|weeks) to make it easier
to follow development.
The downside of this is that in most cases it is too frequent for most
people to follow.

> In any case, the logic behind my suggestion was that although the
> content of the snapshot releases might be mixed in nature, we'd only
> make snaphots of "working" versions of the Guidelines, specifically
> to avoid poor-quality snapshots. The idea being that CVS followers
> take their chances, but snapshot downloaders should get the newest we
> can provide that we know is at least rudimentarily OK.

That implies that we will need to have some kind of QA process before
the snapshot release, not just packaging.

> Another policy to add on top would be to say that we don't make a new
> snapshot unless not only is it a self-validating, self-consistent,
> consistent version, but it is in some way better than the previous
> snapshot.
>

>> Apart from that, I think it would make sense to delegate the
>> timings of the other releases to Sebastian (or whoever is
>> involved), they do not seem to fall directly into the area of the
>> work the council is supervising.
>
> While it may be Sebastian who does the actual work, I believe that
> Council should set the basic principles or Guidelines, and the
> editors should decide when snapshots are in order according to them.

Right.  The quote above relates to the other derived releases (debian,
DVD) Sebastian was asking about.

All the best,

Christian

--