[tei-council] Re: roma, documentation, i18n

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun Jun 26 18:37:43 EDT 2005

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

> this coincides nicely with a conversation I had with Lou on Friday,
> where we came to the same conclusion. One advantage is that
> if the changes are written as a genuine ODD file, the person
> working on it can generate test schemas and documentation locally.
> However, for general use, we periodically merge all the separate I18N
> files into the main P5 source, and enhance the processors to
> do the right thing with multple <desc> and <gloss>

What would be the advantage of pulling this into the main P5 source?
I see only added maintainance cost with no real benefit.  You could as
easily pull them out and merge them into the tree on runtime.

>>These files should then be kept on SF in the I18N module.
>>

> yes, this sounds good, to let someone else pick up just the translations
> and work
> on them.
>
> of course, we have the perpetual problem that when a new element is added,
> or the <desc> is altered in the English original, we have to bring all
> the translations
> into sync.

Yeah, well.  If this happens, we trigger a notice to the
tei-translators mailing list, I assume.

> dont forget attributes, and vallists, by the way

But attributes should be covered within the elementSpec, shouldnt
they.

What to do about vallists is an interesting question that needs to be
discussed.

All the best,

Christian

--