[tei-council] another agenda item

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun Jun 26 14:04:56 EDT 2005

I'd like us to re-discuss, albeit at not too much length,
the schema by which P5 gets "released" to the public.
At present, there are the following ways in which a change
gets pushed out:

 1 on Sourceforge, in CVS. any one monitoring CVS gets the gory fixes,
which are not even guarenteed to be internally consistent
 2 on Sourceforge, as file releases. these are zip files containing the
P5 materials in a supposedly runtime tree structure
 3 on the TEI web site, in the form of the HTML version of the Guidelines
 4 on the web, as the eXist database behind Roma, also used for the
/Query/tag.xq?name=foo interface;
   noting that Roma conceptually lives on both tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk and on
tei-c.org.uk, which can be kept apart
 5 in Debian packages
 6 bundled in TEI Emacs
 7 in TEI Knoppix CDs and DVDs

of these, only the first and second are clear; #1 happens when anyone
makes a change; and #2 happens
when the Council authorizes a new numbered release. The others happen
currently at mostly my whim,
and sometimes at Lou's whim.  This isn't right, and I do admit that its
quite largely my fault.

I think we should have clearer rules on what triggers any of these
<q>releases</q>
(since only #1 is really a Release").

If someone would like to write down a set of rules, and the Council
agrees to them,
I promise to abide by them in future....

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk