[tei-council] more on internationalization

Julia Flanders Julia_Flanders at Brown.edu
Tue May 24 09:44:41 EDT 2005

I would suggest that we make a longer list of languages in which we
know text encoding work is being done (as determined, for instance,
by the range of countries in which we have members), and use this as
a master list to track our progress. That list could be cast into
rough groups:
--highest priority: languages where there is a great deal of TEI work
being done;
--middle priority: languages where there is some TEI work being done;
--low priority: languages where there is little or no TEI work being
done but where we believe there is potential;
--not on the list: languages where we believe having a translation
would not have any appreciable influence at the moment (e.g. Tlingit)

Then submit a call and see what proposals we receive. We could fund
all the proposals in our high-priority group, and keep the others for
a more substantial EU proposal, or a proposal to another funding
body. Creating a master plan in this way would help us make a
persuasive funding proposal and also provide a sense of long-term
goals and progress.

It may be in any case that the ALLC wishes to give priority in any
case to European languages (I can check on this with Harold). I'll
also check on the timeline to see whether this proposal can wait
until P5 issues have been firmed up.

best, Julia