[tei-council] more on internationalization

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue May 24 04:47:59 EDT 2005

M. J. Driscoll wrote:

> But here
>the everybody-speaks-English-don't-they?-attitude is even
>less appropriate, since in Bulgaria, as in most of the
>world, everybody doesn't speak English (thank God), and
>shouldn't have to. Which I thought was the whole point of
>this exercise.

indeed. so what is the algorithm for priorititizing languages? we can choose
between:

 1 easy to do (ie we know someone who can control the work, like Laurent
for French or Alejandro for Spanish)
 2 number of native speakers (in which case Bahasa might be on the list)
 3 number of known interests in text encoding (er, thats hard.)
 4 perception of "importance" of language (er, thats hard too)
 5 sticking pins in a world map

to my mind, no 1 is the practical choice. no sense in picking, say,
Korean and then
not being able to locate a good person.

if we ask the ALLC for money to try and do (say) 6 languages,
then we can ask the members first and then  TEI-L second
for bids.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk