[tei-council] more on internationalization

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon May 23 10:13:28 EDT 2005

Julia Flanders wrote:

> So, for how many languages could we translate <desc> and <gloss> (and
> perhaps tag names as well, or perhaps not) for $20,000? If translating
> the tag names alone, imperfectly, took two weeks,

dont trust that report of mine. I'd have to ask Arno

> would one month per language for the initial translation, plus
> something for the review, be enough?

I think thats too much.  I think a competent person would translate the
necessary 1000 or so sentences in
a week.  say that cost $1000, we could do 20 languages.  be more
pessimistic and double that,
and we still could commission 10 translations.

> And how much would that month reasonably cost us?
>
> To identify the translators, would it be worth our posting a call on
> TEI-L, announcing the proposal and indicating that we're seeking
> translators who would be willing to contribute some time (i.e. they'd
> get paid, but probably not fully for what their time is worth)? and
> also reviewers? Or would we prefer to identify translators ourselves?

I think its worth asking on TEI-L. Other people may have experience
of commissioning translation, or be able to offer to do it themselves.

of course, we cant do nowt until the editors confirm the <desc> and
<gloss> texts are
stable....

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk