[tei-council] more on internationalization

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Sun May 22 16:05:18 EDT 2005

> I also think it is *much* more useful to translate e.g. the desc
> and gloss elements than it is to simply translate the tagnames.

While I'm not as confident as Lou seems to be, I think this is
probably the better way to go, too. There are lots of tag and
attribute names that are not initially obvious even to a native
English speaker. Changing them to something that's not initially
obvious in the reader's native language would help less than
providing a brief prose explanation in the reader's native language.

I haven't thought through how this fits into the funding question,
but it is important.