[tei-council] more on internationalization

Julia Flanders Julia_Flanders at Brown.edu
Fri May 20 16:22:23 EDT 2005

Syd and I were talking about this issue a little more, and it seemed
to us that two valuable ways to increase the multilinguality of the
TEI universe would be:

1. Provide the TEI tagset in several languages other than English
--complete the existing provision for tag names and attributes in
German, French, and Spanish
--add to this list of languages, perhaps to include Italian, a
Scandinavian language, an Eastern European language?

2. Provide the P5 how-to, ODD manual, and an Introduction to TEI
document in several languages other than English

It would also be nice to translate the Guidelines themselves, but
that would be beyond the scope of this initial funding. And I think
covering more languages is in some ways more useful than covering
more information--for one thing, diplomatically, it sends a stronger
signal of inclusiveness, and doesn't ask us to decide which language
is most important to start with.

I don't have a sense of how much work is involved in either task;
ideally, we would use the funding to leverage some volunteer time.
How much time did it take to translate the tagset into German or
French or Spanish?

Best wishes, Julia