[tei-council] P5, roma and bibl[Item|Struct] (Solved!!)

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed May 11 21:33:54 EDT 2005

Christian Wittern wrote:

>Or so I wrote, but I just could not keep my hands off -- and I finally
>found that the problem was a missing &biblstru; in Source/CO/CO.odd.

that figures.

>On the way to this, I have learnt quite a lot about the various nuts
>and bolts alleyways, unexpected views and hidden traps of Roma.  I now
>think I now why the system bears this name...

it is excellent to know that you are finding all this out, as
you'll now be able to write lots of documentation....

> Roma would go ahead happily and build RNG
>and DTD for me out of these faulty files and pretending they were fine
>without a blinker.

you're hitting lazy evaluation. the reference is not checked until
runtime.

> This is what Julia and Sebastian alluded to
>earlier, I think.  So maybe trang could in fact be used to detect at
>least some of the more obvious bullets in ones own foot?!

informally, yes. but there is a big difficulty in relating the error message
from trang back to the source ODD, which is what you really want. You
got enough information about biblStruct to know where to look, but
you are on the very high end of the scale of expertise by now, and most
people wouldn't have a clue.

The revised Roma that you are now running does do a lot more than
before to work around your attempts to shoot yourself.  If you
opt to delete <foo>, and there is a content model of

 <zeroOrMore><ref name="foo"/></zeroOrMore>

we used to make <foo> a <notAllowed/> to make this work, but
that meant the DTD ended up with ()*. So now I detect <foo> is no
longer available, and zap the entire <zeroOrMore> clause. The code
which does this (template "simplifyRelax" in odd2odd.xsl) is not
foolproof, and may need  tweaking, but it covers the simpler cases.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk