[tei-council] ODD manual

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri May 6 08:58:46 EDT 2005

I have now found time to unpack some of the goodies Sebastian has been
despatching from the other side of the world. One is a preliminary draft
for a "TEI Customization Handbook" which aims to set out all you need in
order to adapt the TEI for your own needs.  He intended to distribute
this to the Council before the Paris meeting, but the PDF file he sent
was stripped by the listserv in virginia, and I was too preoccupied with
other things to do anything about sending out an alternative.

Anyway, please visit http://www.tei-c.org/ODD/Manual/ now to see the
draft in question.

I think the doc is a good start but needs quite a bit more work. The
tone is closer to that of TD , the reference chapter of P5 (which it
overlaps somewhat) than of -- say -- the TEI Lite tutorial: I feel that
it needs to be chattier and more accessible, with plenty of simpler
examples before hitting people with e.g. xinclude. Above all, it should
take a more "cookbook" style approach e.g. in presenting Roma.  I think
the order of presentation is wrong: dtd and relaxng wrappers should be
relegated to an appendix.  The lists of classes currently in the
appendix are necessary, but probably should be referenced from here, not
included in the document, as we will soon have far too many such lists
to cope with.

But I think the coverage is right: do Council members have suggestions
for other topics they think such a document really must address, bearing
in mind the distinction we made at the Paris meeting between
(a) reference documentation in the P5 Guidelines (TD, CF)
(b) tutorial introductions (this document)

Lou