[tei-council] P5 Howto - how?

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun Apr 24 05:03:57 EDT 2005

Council members,

Having spent a fair amount of time trying to get P5 customizations
according to the P5 Howto working, the only thing I can say is, it does not
seem to work as advertised, at least not on my system.

Here is the ODD fragment I am trying to use, it lives in steininschriften.odd:

                <schemaSpec ident="stone">
                    <moduleRef key="core" />
                    <moduleRef key="tei" />
                    <moduleRef key="header" />
                    <moduleRef key="textstructure" />
                    <moduleRef key="figures" />
                    <moduleRef key="gaiji" />
                    <moduleRef key="linking" />
                    <moduleRef key="msdescription" />
                    <moduleRef key="namesdates" />
                    <moduleRef key="textcrit" />
                    <moduleRef key="transcr" />
                </schemaSpec>

I have a P5 CVS tree from SF, do a "make install" and get some errors,
since there are some namespace-related bugs in the XSL that generates
the Guidelines, but I do end up having a schema/relaxng/p5 and schema/dtd/p5
subdirectory in /usr/local/tei/.

Now trying to run Roma (from the P5 dir in the CVS tree, after having
put fix_rnc_whitespace.pl on the path:

~/src/tei/P5/Roma --schema=/usr/local/tei/schema/relaxng/p5/ --nodtd --debug --xsl=http://www.tei-c.org/stylesheet/base steininschriften.odd  mySchemas
========= 2005-04-24 10:54:13.N Roma starts, info:
Test for software: xmllint, xsltproc, trang, and perl
/sw/bin/xmllint
/sw/bin/xsltproc
/Users/chris/bin/trang
/usr/bin/perl
TEI stylesheet tree: http://www.tei-c.org/stylesheet/base
Results to: mySchemas
Process steininschriften.odd to create stone{.dtd|.xsd|.doc.xml|.rng|.rnc} in mySchemas
========= 2005-04-24 10:54:13.N Roma starts, execution:
1. make Relax NG from ODD
warning: failed to load external entity "http://www.tei-c.org/stylesheet/base/p5/odds/odd2odd.xsl"
cannot parse http://www.tei-c.org/stylesheet/base/p5/odds/odd2odd.xsl
warning: failed to load external entity "stone.compiled.odd"
unable to parse stone.compiled.odd
stone.rng:1: parser error : Document is empty

^
stone.rng:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found

^
2. make Relax NG compact from XML
/Users/chris/tmp/HD/mySchemas/stone.rng:1: fatal: Document root element is missing.

ERROR:  trang fails.

Roma seems to look for a file odd2odd.xsl which is nowhere to be
found, not in the CVS tree and not on the server and fails miserably.

Now, the second option is to run the online version, so I go to
http://www.tei-c.org.uk, upload my file, click on "Submit Query" and
proceed to "Schemas".  Trying to generate a schema results in the
message:

Time to give you a schema

MESSAGES
/tmp/f3a07941ebdaa21bb2e1e9d6fb0f7b7c.tmp:5:36: error: reference to undefined pattern "TEI"
Schema
Could not create schema

This makes sense, since when I look at the Modules page, there seems
to be no module selected at all, at least no one shows up in the
list. I suspect that the input file has not been parsed correctly.

I wonder if I am doing something wrong here?  Have other council
members been successful in proceeding according to the Howto?

Slightly desperated,

Christian

--

 Christian Wittern