[tei-council] CARP01: content of <interp>

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Mon Mar 7 01:16:23 EST 2005

As per the decision on our last conference call (see http://www.tei-
c.org/Council/tcm15.html#id2288873), this is an official prod for
Council consideration and resolution, which, if you really like
acronyms, could be called Council CARP (consideration and resolution
prod -- no, I don't want to call it 'consideration, resolution, and
progress' :-).

I thought we should start with an easy one. The Character Encoding WG
pointed out that nothing that might need to have a character outside
of Unicode or be expressed in a different language should be in an
attribute value. Council charged the editors with reporting what this
means -- what we should do with our various attributes. In ED W 79
(http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/edw79.html) and again in ED W 86 the
editors say that the value= attribute of the <interp> element should
become the content of the <interp> element.

Meanwhile, back on Sourceforge, Andreas Nolda posted a feature
request for giving the empty <interp> element content, so that he
could give it some markup. The editors chimed in saying, yes, it's
probably a good idea. No one else has posted a word.

So the only real question left, IMHO, is what should the content of
<interp> be? Lou & I have made several suggestions in the discussion
on Sourceforge. So each and every council member should head over to
feature request #1007353 at
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1007353&group_id=106328&atid=644065
read the entire artifact (it's only 4 posts long -- and I apologize
in advance for how ugly mine looks: I spent time trying to make sure
that it came out looking OK, but apparently Sourceforge's input field
and output display are of different widths, sigh), and post your
thoughts and opinions here[1].

This one is straight forward enough that I'm hoping we won't need any
significant further progress through which to shepherd the issue. We
should just try to reach complete and final resolution on the issue
before Thu 17 Mar, and I'll try to implement it before I leave on Sat
19 for a conference.

Note
----
[1] Did we decide whether discussion should take place here on this
    list or on the feature request tracker on Sourceforge?