[tei-council] new look TEI web site

Julia Flanders Julia_Flanders at Brown.edu
Wed Mar 2 12:12:58 EST 2005

I'd like to back away from the specific discussion for a moment.
Sebastian, I'm concerned that this partial redesign is live on the UK
mirror *before* having been looked at or reviewed by the TEI board.
I'm not even sure we discussed the idea of having an interim
redesign; when you mentioned working with Cocoon to have a new
dynamically generated site I assumed that you would be working with
the same look as the current TEI site, and that any material changes
would  be reviewed privately before going live. As an interim
redesign, I don't think this new site is ready for prime time. Could
we please restore the old UK mirror for the time being, while we sort
out what we're going to do? We've had the existing site for long
enough that a little longer won't kill us.

I'd also like to propose that we leave the redesign (as to structure
and appearance) to Virginia (as discussed on the TEI board list). I
don't think it's a good use of time to have false starts; I'd like to
see a more systematic process which takes into account all of the
TEI's needs, and allows for review in advance of publication. This,
as I understand it, is what Virginia is planning and I think we
should let them carry it out.

I hope this doesn't sound ungrateful--experimenting with the
technical infrastructure for the site seems like a good thing, but
I'd prefer that we be more careful with the public face of the TEI.

Best wishes, Julia