[tei-council] url vs xlink:href

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Feb 14 10:27:01 EST 2005

surely @url and @target are the same thing? as it stands in P5, we only
have @target

> @url as used on say <graphic> is xsd:anyURI, presumably because it
> needs to point to one particular thing.

its probably <graphic> which is out of sync, and should be xlink:xref

> But interestingly, the SO wg seems to suggest use of @xlink:href
> when using SVG (http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/SO/sow04.html), but I
> don't know whether this was followed up or not, or considered outside
> the scope since I'm assuming it is what is used in SVG.  Can someone
> remind me (also as a newcomer) whether it was the decision and
> rational was concerning use of SVG to be used within
> <figure>/<graphic>? Is this the recommend use or only offered as an
> extension?

that whole business of SVG inside <graphic>/<figure> seems to me merely
illustrative and not TEI normative in any sense

> @url as used seems to point to only one thing (unlike @target).
> @xlink:href also seems to point to only one thing.
>
> If we are going to have to be processing xlink:href when used with
> SVG...should we use it elsewhere?

maybe.  it would conform with the depressing state of using xml:id,
xml:lang and xml:base, and make
my life even more difficult by making practically every TEI document use
_3_ namespaces

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk