[tei-council] council annual meeting

M. J. Driscoll mjd at hum.ku.dk
Tue Jan 18 04:46:13 EST 2005

Copenhagen is one of the more expensive cities in Europe,
I'm afraid, and a recent rise in the cost of public
transport has not helped the matter; I believe we are now
second only to Oslo. Relative to the general cost of
living, however, hotels are not fantastically expensive,
and certainly cheaper than, say, Chicago; one night in a
decent hotel will set you back about $100 at the current
rate of exchange (the dollar may of course be worth even
less by April). We have complete facilities for meetings
and so on here at the Institute, which would not cost
anything, so the only real problem is accommodation, and of
course, meals, which can, again, be rather expensive (but
generally worth it, especially if someone else is paying).
There's always shawarma, and of course the ubiquitous hot-
dog stands, for those willing to eat such things.

Getting here is easy enough. In fact, Copenhagen is quite
centrally located, being almost exactly midway between
Kyoto and San Francisco, going the one way, and Tromsø and
Rome going the other. Direct flight are available from most
European cites, and often at absurdly low prices with Ryan
Air, Virgin, Snowflake etc. (my son once flew from Stansted
for 10p + taxes). There are direct flights from the bigger
American cities with SAS or, with a brief stop-over in
Iceland, with Icelandair, who are usually slightly cheaper.
Those of you who live in the sticks would probably have had
to change anyway.

As far as dates are concerned I'm easy. Apart from five
days in the middle of April (13th-17th) I'm here.

And as a final enticement, this year marks the 200th
anniversary of the birth of H. C. (probably know to you as
Hans Christian) Andersen, the ugly duckling man, so what
better time to visit "Wonderful Copenhagen"?

Matthew