[tei-council] xml-colon-thing

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Mon Nov 22 14:48:14 EST 2004

> I wonder. Since there are no uses of extended pointer in the
> Guidelines per se, we can switch the Guidelines document and its
> processing stylesheets now, and leave the additional schemes more
> fluid. They'll only affect the examples, for which we don't have
> any processing software.

Errr... ahhh... yes. (I'm hemming and hawing because I think we've
already had this conversation.) Your position, I think, ... well, now
that I think about it, I'm not sure what your position was. I had
initially proposed that the style-sheets need only be able to do what
P4 does, i.e., handle bare names, and only for those elements and
attributes the Guidelines actually use. You pointed out the need to
do all elements & attributes at the same time. I quickly realized
that the consequence of this is that my "bare name only" idea was
stupid, because the new style-sheets also need to handle what P4
<xptr> does.

Never mind. The point is you're correct, there's no need for you to
feel compelled to process any of the TEI additional XPointer schemes.
At the moment I don't see a need for you to even think about anything
other than a URI Reference with a bare name as the fragment
identifier (e.g., "http://standard/kinda/url#name"), and we might
even be able to get away without the URI part of that (e.g. just
"#name").