[tei-council] xml-colon-thing

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Nov 22 08:13:51 EST 2004

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

> Syd Bauman wrote:
>

>>* Changing P5 so that it refers to xml:id= is a bit of a deal, as all
>>  Sebastian's style-sheets need to be changed to match.
>>

> this has to be done regardless. I am now happy to bite the
> bullet
>
>>* Changing P5 so that it uses XPointers to point to xml:id= instead
>>  of IDREFs is a really big deal, as all Sebastian's style-sheets
>>  need to be changed to match.
>>

> I suspect there are so few uses of IDREFS that it won't be that
> hard.
>
>>* Changing P5 to do these things is itself a very significant change
>>  (e.g., dozens to hundreds of examples need to be changed;
>>
> thats automated, if the examples are done right
>
>> at least
>>  10 chapters discuss pointing), so IMHO Council should be pretty
>>  sure of it first, before we devote serious time and effort to it.
>>

> indeed. but the Council accepted the principle in Ghent,
> and asked for clarification in some areas, which has now been
> given. so I don't see any reason to delay a decision

I hope we can come to a decision at the next call.  This requires that
everybody is up to date on the problem.  To ensure this is the case,
the best would be to point us to a clear document (SOW09?) where we
can find it all lined out.

>>Sebastian said he would not be ready to perform the needed changes to
>>the style-sheets until at least December, at which time we either have
>>to halt other production on P5 while these changes are made (my idea)
>>or use Perforce to create a separate branch of P5 source and make the
>>changes there, re-merging them when complete (Sebastian's idea).

We have been discussing these style-sheets on-and-off as if they were
part of P5, which they are not.  At the moment they are not even
officially "TEI-branded", they are just hacked together by Sebastian,
who happens to do a lot of other work for the TEI.  We definetely
should give some thought to the status of these style-sheets and the
way how they work now.  In that context, we should consider whether we
want to devote some effort to a considerable overhaul of the design,
document for example how they pick up certain @rend values (and work
magically with lots of attributes the Guidelines do not even now off),
through in different (dare I say, foreing) namespaces.  If we do deem
they important for the TEI project, we need to do something about
that.

I'd like to put this on the agenda if nobody convinces me otherwise.

All the best,

Christian

--

 Christian Wittern