[tei-council] xml-colon-thing

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Nov 22 06:22:22 EST 2004

Syd Bauman wrote:

>* Changing P5 so that it refers to xml:id= is a bit of a deal, as all
>  Sebastian's style-sheets need to be changed to match.

this has to be done regardless. I am now happy to bite the
bullet

>* Changing P5 so that it uses XPointers to point to xml:id= instead
>  of IDREFs is a really big deal, as all Sebastian's style-sheets
>  need to be changed to match.

I suspect there are so few uses of IDREFS that it won't be that
hard.

>* Changing P5 to do these things is itself a very significant change
>  (e.g., dozens to hundreds of examples need to be changed;

thats automated, if the examples are done right

> at least
>  10 chapters discuss pointing), so IMHO Council should be pretty
>  sure of it first, before we devote serious time and effort to it.

indeed. but the Council accepted the principle in Ghent,
and asked for clarification in some areas, which has now been
given. so I don't see any reason to delay a decision

>Sebastian said he would not be ready to perform the needed changes to
>the style-sheets until at least December, at which time we either have
>to halt other production on P5 while these changes are made (my idea)
>or use Perforce to create a separate branch of P5 source and make the
>changes there, re-merging them when complete (Sebastian's idea).

I'm ready to bring this forward a bit; I am also rather inclining
to your view now, that we should close P5 for a week and do
it in one big go.

>we should keep it in the
>backs of our minds as we move forward, so as to not do anything that
>would arbitrarily make it difficult to do so.

agreed. I do have a P4 compat module as one of the ODD test files,
so I'd expect to roughly keep it in sync

sebastian