[tei-council] P4 compatibility mode (was "Re: xml-colon-thing")

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Sun Nov 21 18:47:44 EST 2004

> We seem to have dropped this thread a bit. I was getting the
> impression that the majority of council members do not accept the
> argument that P5 should have transitional features to aid
> migration. Is that a fair judgment, or should we have a show of
> (electronic) hands?

Remember that, for the ID/IDREF issue, SO has already proposed (and I
think Council agreed to in principle in Ghent, but not explicitly as
there were still questions on the IDREFS issue back then) that we
provide a module that would allow use of ID/IDREF instead of
XPointers.

I could probably be persuaded that the "wait and see if anyone wants
it" approach is the way to go, even on this issue. But I do think we
want to keep it (an ID/IDREF module) in the backs of our minds, even
if we don't create it right up front, and even if we don't create an
entire "P4 compatibility mode" module.