[tei-council] xml-colon-thing

David J Birnbaum djbpitt+tei at pitt.edu
Thu Nov 11 13:50:57 EST 2004

Dear Lou (cc Council),

I apologize if I've forgotten some important explanatory detail, but I
don't understand the advantage of hedging our bets here. Can you elaborate
a bit?

Thanks,

David

--On Thursday, November 11, 2004 5:15 PM +0000 Lou Burnard
<lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:r

> The Character set workgroup has proposed and the Council has (I think)
> accepted that  the global lang attribute should be replaced by a global
> xml:lang attribute; likewise the Standoff WG has proposed and the Council
> is (I think) still ruminating about the notion that the global "id"
> attribute should be replaced by a global xml:id attribute.
>
> Pondering how to actually implement these proposals in P5 without causing
> too much havoc, I have reached the conclusion that it would be both
> feasible and advisable to make the transition in a rather more cautious
> way. I am proposing to add xml:lang as an *alternative* to lang in the
> definition for  tei.global.attributes rather than as a replacement for
> it.  (And similarly xml:lang). By "alternative" here I mean that a given
> element can specify one or the other but not both (supplying both would
> in any case be impossible since both have ID declared values). The
> current ODD syntax already supports this -- we added it art Christian's
> suggestion during the Paris Meta meeting -- and indeed uses it for
> similar backwards- compatibility-reasons in the definition for <figure> I
> think. The schemas generated do exactly the same thing: the DTD generated
> may need some further hand adjustment.
>
> I think it is a good idea to hedge our bets about the take up of W3C
> recommendations in this way, and it will definitely make the job of
> moving legacy data to P5 a whole lot easier. Not least for us!
>
> Comments?
>
> Lou

________

Professor David J. Birnbaum
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
1417 Cathedral of Learning
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260 USA
Voice: 1 412 624 5712