[tei-council] xml-colon-thing

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Nov 11 12:15:53 EST 2004

The Character set workgroup has proposed and the Council has (I think)
accepted that  the global lang attribute should be replaced by a global
xml:lang attribute; likewise the Standoff WG has proposed and the
Council is (I think) still ruminating about the notion that the global
"id" attribute should be replaced by a global xml:id attribute.

Pondering how to actually implement these proposals in P5 without
causing too much havoc, I have reached the conclusion that it would be
both feasible and advisable to make the transition in a rather more
cautious way. I am proposing to add xml:lang as an *alternative* to lang
in the definition for  tei.global.attributes rather than as a
replacement for it.  (And similarly xml:lang). By "alternative" here I
mean that a given element can specify one or the other but not both
(supplying both would in any case be impossible since both have ID
declared values). The current ODD syntax already supports this -- we
added it art Christian's suggestion during the Paris Meta meeting -- and
indeed uses it for similar backwards- compatibility-reasons in the
definition for <figure> I think. The schemas generated do exactly the
same thing: the DTD generated may need some further hand adjustment.

I think it is a good idea to hedge our bets about the take up of W3C
recommendations in this way, and it will definitely make the job of
moving legacy data to P5 a whole lot easier. Not least for us!

Comments?

Lou