[tei-council] Layout of P5 on the file system

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Sep 27 10:41:26 EDT 2004

Edward Vanhoutte wrote:

> One of the items I want to bring up may seem trivial, and subject to
> much discussion, but is i.m.h.o. quite important: the lay-out of the
> printed version of the Guidelines. My students and staff have found
> the P3 layout easier to work with than the P4 lay-out. Especially for
> the reference secion in vol 2. One does occasionaly still consult the
> books, and in teaching situations it's still the first physical
> contact with the work of the TEI. Could we think about this (not as an
> item for the conference call, but as an issue in the process of
> releasing P5)?

The design of the printed page for P5 has not really been considered
yet. So far as I am concerned (I consider myself the
current pumpkin holder for production of printed Guidelines), nothing is
fixed in stone at all. So any or all suggestions welcome.

But please, say much more than "easier to work with"! concrete details
are good, and alternative suggestions
even better.

If there is a group or individual who would like to consider a complete
new implementation
for making printed books, it would be great. P4 was done by an XSLT
transform to XSL FO, and then typsetting
using PassiveTeX. My current default route is XSLT transform to LaTeX
and thence TeX typsetting.

Sebastian