[tei-council] [Fwd: interim SF management proposals]

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Sep 24 10:02:29 EDT 2004

Following some discussion between the editors, we would now like to
present to the Council the following brief notes on how we propose to
handle "feature-requests" appearing on SourceForge. This procedure
applies only to feature requests for TEI P5. Similar procedures could be
envisaged for other proposals, e.g. for enhancements to software served
from the SF site, but we have not yet elaborated the details of those.

1. Every ticket should get at least two comments, one from each editor.
Until this happens, a ticket is "open" with whatever priority was
originally assigned.

2. If comments have been made by each editor, and there appears to be a
consensus as to the correct course of action (tho not necessarily
between the two editors!), then the ticket's status will be changed as
follows:

    pending: the ticket proposes a change which should be made at some
future date

    closed:
    EITHER: the ticket proposes a change which is not going to be
made any time soon
    OR: the ticket proposes a change which has already been made

    delete:  the ticket proposes a change which is so silly it should be
forgotten all about

3. When a ticket changes status to "pending", it must also be assigned
to one or other of the editors, or to a nominated reviser, for action.
[A "reviser" must be registered on SF for this to be feasible]

4. If a ticket has received insuffient comments to move to stage 2
above, or if no consensus emerges as to the correct course of action,
then its priority degrades by 1 every month until it gets to the bottom
of the pile.

Comments gratefully received. A preliminary pass through the whole set
of comments has now been carried out. Council members are urged (again)
to look at any of the topics listed and contribute their own views.