[tei-council] Topics for discussion: nameSpace/tagUsage

Flanders, Julia Julia_Flanders at Brown.Edu
Mon Sep 13 21:39:37 EDT 2004

Fair enough.... I didn't think about seeking sample texts with <foo> elements but I can see the utility. (Though wouldn't other methods of searching prove more reliable? It's possible to be wrong or out of date in <tagUsage>, whereas a grep search would tell the truth for sure.)

I have no objection to separating the renditional aspect, and agree about the unwanted/confusing normativeness of the current arrangement.

Best, Julia

As an
> addendum: I would suggest that we drop the requirement that there be a
> <tagUsage> element for every GI; the useful functions of <tagUsage>
> these days seem to me to be rendition and documentation; verification of
> the number of elements seems a little old-fashioned.

I fear I don't agree here. Documentation of tagUsage should include
information about frequency of deployment: that's what it's for. It's
not just for verification -- if I am doing a quick trawl through a
digital library to find texts containing  <foo> elements, I really want
to reliably know which texts have got oodles of them and which haven't.

I think that recommended rendition info should be in a separate element.
  It confuses the issue to lump it together with tagUsage and seems
unwontedly normative aspect in this context. Also, separating it out
would enable you to document different rendition policies for the same
element.

Lou