[tei-council] Topics for discussion

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Sep 13 17:32:28 EDT 2004

Julia Flanders wrote:

-revision of <index>; this seems confused to me. If the <index> element
is intended to mark the point in the flow of text where the index entry
points, this doesn't seem like a good place to put information about how
the index entry itself is going to look (e.g. "see also" references,
etc.). Surely the point is that some software comes along and gathers up
all the <index> elements and processes them into an index entry. No
single <index> point can be expected to carry the extra information for
the entry itself. I think the problem is real--this extra information is
needed--but packing it into <index> doesn't seem like a good approach. I
also don't see the function of the <indexContent> element; is its
content intended to become part of the index entry, or is it just the
basis for a link?

I share Julia's misgivings on this one. I also wonder whether we
shouldn't be thinking a bit harder about how to integrate topic maps
with the TEI (John Walsh gave a very good paper on this at DRH, by the
way) instead of trying to soup <index> up to do something similar.