[tei-council] Topics for discussion: figure and figdesc

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Sep 13 17:30:12 EDT 2004

Julia Flanders wrote:

> --revision of <figure>: seems good to me, but I'm not sure I understand
> the proposal exactly--is the <figDesc> element intended to appear both
> within <figText> (which would have the content model of current <figure>
> element) and also as a direct child of <figure>? Also: the current
> content model of figure doesn't allow for the fact that text (including
> poetry) may appear both/either above and below the graphical content of
> the figure. It would be good to be able to accommodate this fact. It's
> also good to preserve the current distinction between the text that
> accompanies the figure (headings, captions, etc.) and text that is
> actually embedded within the image content (e.g. speech ballons, painter
> signatures, banners, signs, etc.).

Apologies for lack of clarity. <figText> should NOT contain <figDesc>
but be a sibling of it. The idea is that figure should contain heading
information, figDesc, figText, a <graphic> element of some kind, and
possibly a nested figure. Making figText repeatable around <graphic> is
certainly a possibility, and one I hadn't thought of, though the details
may be a little complicated to interpret. Maybe the REND attribute of
<figText> should be used to specify whereabouts the text is located in
the image in question.