licenses again (slightly different area), and Sourceforge

David G. Durand david.durand at ingenta.com
Mon Apr 26 12:18:03 EDT 2004

>I have worked on the assumption that the council and board are happy
>that "software"
>(in the broadest sense) which comes from us can be released using a
>GPL license. This
>excludes our main product, the Guidelines (separate ongoing
>discussion), but includes
>things like stylesheets, and other odd bits and pieces.

I think that this makes much sense.

>If anyone on the Board or Council has objections to these offshoots
>of the TEI being
>managed under a GPL licenese in an open software development forum,
>PLEASE speak up now! I do
>realize that I am already exceeding my authority, but it is not too
>late to retract this stuff
>if people are worried, before we make public announcements.

I approve.

>I would very much like it if we did make a public announcement about
>all this soon,
>and invited folks to make use of the discussion forums and bug
>tracking on Sourceforge.
>I'd like to get our members and users involved, and maybe revitalize
>some of the
>SIGs using this.
>
>Yes, there are loads of implications behind doing stuff in
>Sourceforge. Lets investigate them...

This sounds good. Also, it's a great improvement to put these kinds
of development projects and source in public, with global access to
the most current versions, and support for a release structure.

Bug tracking and feature request tracking are also great things to have.

   -- David

--

David G. Durand
Director, Electronic Publishing Services

T: +1 401-331-2014 x111
T: +1 401-935-5317 Mobile
E: david.durand at ingenta.com