licenses again (slightly different area), and Sourceforge

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Apr 24 07:54:16 EDT 2004

Eagle eyed watchers of Sourceforge will see that we have a live
Sourceforge project
now, and even some files (https://sourceforge.net/projects/tei/).

I have worked on the assumption that the council and board are happy
that "software"
(in the broadest sense) which comes from us can be released using a GPL
license. This
excludes our main product, the Guidelines (separate ongoing discussion),
but includes
things like stylesheets, and other odd bits and pieces.

If anyone on the Board or Council has objections to these offshoots of
the TEI being
managed under a GPL licenese in an open software development forum,
PLEASE speak up now! I do
realize that I am already exceeding my authority, but it is not too late
to retract this stuff
if people are worried, before we make public announcements.

I would very much like it if we did make a public announcement about all
this soon,
and invited folks to make use of the discussion forums and bug tracking
on Sourceforge.
I'd like to get our members and users involved, and maybe revitalize
some of the
SIGs using this.

Yes, there are loads of implications behind doing stuff in Sourceforge.
Lets investigate them...

Sebastian