another question to ponder

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Dec 10 19:46:52 EST 2003

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

> Sorry to bang on about this, but if the TEI Consortium (as opposed to
> the TEI) is to have a future, it has to be much more proactive about its
> image, its communications, its services etc. A sine qua non for that is
> a single home for mailing lists, with centralized subscription
> management, common searchable archives, and a rational set of lists for
> different aspects of the TEI.

to look into how to implement improvement in list offerings.

I also see this as a vital point for the way TEI is perceived from the
outside (or even from the edges).  Management of the lists is a mess
and done purely on an ad-hoc basis, with at least three different
providers involved.  But given that the list form the most central
piece of communication infrastructure the TEI has, I see the need to
streamline this and put it in a common namespace, namely tei-c.org.
What do we need to have an operating listserv server (like, say GNU
mailman) taking care of lists at tei-c.org?  Who do we need to ask to
get an estimate on this?  I will put this on the agenda for the next
call, but would like to have a proposal we can discuss by then.  I
assume also that this is rather an issue the board should take up, but
I am sure the Board will consider a statement from the Council if we
have one.

All the best,

Chistian Wittern

--