Conference call, Meeting

Natasha Smith nsmith at email.unc.edu
Thu Dec 4 16:42:02 EST 2003

I hope this is the toughest decision we ever need to make in our lives -
Gent or Goteborg, May or June...

More seriously, I decided to untangle several facts that became tied
together, so I would see a bit clearer in those - already mentioned
several times - muddy waters:

1. re ACH/ALLC conf schedule. Counting the workshops it will take place
from June 9 (Wed) through 16 (Wed)

2. if we want to separate the conference from the TEI Council meeting,
they probably should be at least 5 (if not more) weeks apart. It relieves
the pressure on both work schedule (I mean at our work places) and on -
sorry for that - the body when flying such a distance (I guess I AM
getting older...)

3. re "bean counting" started by Syd and supported by our respected Chair.
We (read the TEI-C)  might very well benefit money-wise if we tie those
two events together instead of separating them. How? Maybe some of our
institutions will be able to cover _portion_ of the cross-the-pond
traveling (I foolishly hope mine will pitch in), which will cut the cost
of flying all the American members to the meeting.

4. the work on P5 is certainly should be considered first place, but some
of us mentioned conferences, presentations, workshops that should be
attended and given right before the ACH/ALLC conference, so I cannot see
that those very busy weeks would really push the publication further.

Thus, my suggestion would be:

1. to tie two events together (consider financial and scheduling reasons)

2. consider both options - before and after the ACH, i.e. June 17 (even
16?)-19 OR June 6-8 (unless there are unchangeable reasons and tradition,
that I do not know of, of having meetings only on Thur-Sat)

3. I hate to say it (I've never been in Gent and would love to go there),
but it probably makes easier to have our meeting closer to the conf.
place. Maybe next time?

best, ns

Natasha (Natalia) Smith
Digitization Librarian