Welcome to new members, planning

Edward Vanhoutte evanhoutte at kantl.be
Thu Nov 20 11:54:54 EST 2003

Dear Council Members,

Thank you for the welcoming words by our chair.

A conference call on January 20th suits me.

As a possibel venue for the meeting in May I'd like to sugges the Royal
Academy of Dutch Language and Literature in Gent (Belgium) where I work.
Here's some prose about the building and its potential:

The building of the Royal Academy of Dutch Language and Literature is
located in the very centre of the old city, and can easily be reached by
public transport and on foot. This very friendly part of town is well
known for its excellent catering and accommodation facilities and
together with its central position both in Ghent and Flanders, it offers
interesting possibilities for an exciting additional social and cultural
conference programme.

The building at the Koningstraat 18 was built from 1746-1749 by the
Ghent master builder David 't Kint who was the central figure of the
local version of the Rococo style. The present offices of the Royal
Academy served as a residence for several noble families before the
Belgian state bought the building in 1892 to serve as the siege of the
Royal Academy. The building has now become a registered monument and the
Academy serves the public by welcoming music concerts and theatre
performances, and allowing guided parties in the building. The building
of the Academy is regularly chosen by directors of name for the shooting
of films on location.

Despite the historical value of the building and its classification as
an official monument, the building provides all modern infrastructure
and state of the art conference facilities.

Apart from the standard facilities of the Royal Academy building, we can
make use of five locations in the building of the Royal Academy:
- The Office of the Centre for Scholarly Editing and Document Studies
(CTB) can function as the secretariat (printing, copying etc
facilities).
- The Large Meeting Room where normally the members of the Royal Academy
hold their monthly gatherings.
- The Green Tapestry Room can be used for smaller working sessions.
- The Red Silk Salon can be used for tea and coffee breaks, and
receptions.
- The Reading Room of the library (Guido Gezellezaal) can both be used
for smaller working sessions and for lunches catered in house.

The location is equipped with modern Computing and communication
facilities and offers the conference a LAN (Local Area Network) with
state of the art Computing equipment and facilities, to internet
connection, fax, and telephone facilities. Presentations will benefit
from the availability of a data projector, OHP, colour slide projector,
whiteboard, audio and video equipment, as well as the presence of a
mobile PA system with wireless microphones and body packs (headsets).
Each of the rooms can be arranged according to specific needs, thanks to
the availability of removable chairs and tables and the technical
assistance of dedicated staff. The kitchen infrastructure in the
building will ensure the catering of coffee, tea, and light refreshments
for the duration of the conference, and can provide coffee- and
tea-making facilities in each of the rooms.

Convinced?

Edward

--

Edward Vanhoutte