proposed letter to Faulhaber, Chesnutt

John Unsworth jmu2m at virginia.edu
Thu Dec 5 15:15:28 EST 2002

At 06:35 AM 12/5/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>One component of certification might be to determine conformance to the
>Guidelines' conformance clauses and use of extension mechanisms. It
>shouldn't stop there, but that is an aspect of the guidelines that is
>sometimes passed over lightly.

True.

>idea of conformance in P5, from the process of examining projects, and
>evaluating both their inherent virtues and drawbacks, and also how they
>relate to the letter of conformance as currently written.

Yep, I agree.  Some of that is going on now in Chris's migration workgroup,
and I think it would be a good outcome of a certification activity for the
TEI, to know more (and in more detail) about what people actually do with
the Guidelines.

>At one point, long ago, there was talk of a fee-based certification
>service, similar to the MLA's critical edition certification. This sounds
>grisly, greedy, and grasping, perhaps, but it's actually not a bad way of
>allowing projects to secure grant funding for the TEI Consortium to help
>them with expert review of their practices.

As such, it would be a prod to writing TEI into project grant budgets, and
I think *that* would be a very good thing.

John