proposed letter to Faulhaber, Chesnutt

David G. Durand david.durand at prov.ingenta.com
Thu Dec 5 06:35:19 EST 2002

This letter seems right to me as well.

A few musings on the topic of certification, induced perhaps by jet-lag:

One component of certification might be to determine conformance to
the Guidelines' conformance clauses and use of extension mechanisms.
It shouldn't stop there, but that is an aspect of the guidelines that
is sometimes passed over lightly.

It seems to me that we could learn a great deal about revisions of
the idea of conformance in P5, from the process of examining
projects, and evaluating both their inherent virtues and drawbacks,
and also how they relate to the letter of conformance as currently
written.

At one point, long ago, there was talk of a fee-based certification
service, similar to the MLA's critical edition certification. This
sounds grisly, greedy, and grasping, perhaps, but it's actually not a
bad way of allowing projects to secure grant funding for the TEI
Consortium to help them with expert review of their practices.

--

    -- David