Fwd: Re: MEP dtd and documentation

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun Oct 27 20:32:50 EST 2002

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

> It is hard to see what is going on here, exactly, without a formal
> definition of what "conforming to the TEI" means. My view is that
> a DTD which is supposed to be derived from the TEI should supply
> the set of extensions and entity definitions which define the
> difference. In the wealth of material in MEP I do not see that, I do see
> an initial example of

This type of problem came also up during the discussions of the
Migration WG, with respect to what to do with DTD's that do not
confirm to the TEI extension mechanism.  The conclusion was basically
that there was no help at all that could be offered.

So if this DTD archive is also supposed to serve as a 'best practice
showroom' (and I am sure any struggling newcomer will like to see it
as such), I think some minimum requirements for deposable DTD's should be
enforced (no need for new rules, we could just quote from the
Guidelines).

All the best,

Christian

--