Med. Man. desc. workgroup

Fotis Jannidis fotis.jannidis at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Jun 26 05:10:46 EDT 2002

After reading the documents collected on the given url I have the
understanding, that the scope of the proposed tags is to provide a
means to describe some of the physical aspects of texts and some
semantic aspects.
I think there is still the need for a set of tags to describe the
physical layout of text on the page. It should be possible to create
a diplomatic transcription of a source with TEI - better even, to
create a TEI encoded texts which can also be the input for an xslt
stylesheet to produce a diplomatic transcription, lets say in xsl:fo.

In other words: chapter 18 of P4 still ends with a list of things to
do:
" These guidelines particularly do not address the encoding of
physical description of textual witnesses: the materials of the
carrier, the medium of the inscribing implement, the layout of the
inscription upon the material, the organisation of the carrier
materials themselves (as quiring, collation, etc.), authorial
instructions or scribal markup, etc."

The TEI Work Group on Medieval Manuscript has started to deal with
some of them and imho there is a need to deal also with "the layout
of the inscription upon the material".
As far as I could see on the TEI website no workgroup is handling
this at the moment. If this is correct I want to propose to establish
such a workgroup.

Fotis

PD Dr. Fotis Jannidis
Deutsche Philologie - LMU Muenchen