conference call (fwd)

John Unsworth jmu2m at virginia.edu
Mon Jun 24 13:42:23 EDT 2002

At 08:36 AM 6/24/2002 -0500, C. Perry Willett wrote:
>My apologies about the time

calculation on the time differential when I first proposed the time, and
then didn't double-check it.  Apologies to those who missed the call on
account of my error: I'll get it right next time, I promise.

As there were some people who meant to be there but couldn't be, and since
I said I'd send my notes to Syd anyway, here's what I recorded, from our
conversation:

John

JMU's unofficial minutes

Council voted to accept the RFP (with thanks), pending revision of the
generic plus two specific RFPs into one general-purpose rfp, with slots for
the details of specific opportunities, as they come up.  Geoff will talk to
Martin about the specifics of MM2002 on June 28th, and in a week (July 1)
will provide the RFP to Oxford, for the web site. Thanks to the training
group for producing these drafts, and for promoting the idea of the RFP.

Council agreed, on the question of certification, that it prefers the idea
of reviewing software to the idea of producing a test suite or certifying
software.  Therefore, we will produce a call for reviews (Matthew and Syd),
and collectively encourage knowledgeable individuals to submit software
reviews to TEI-L, and the TEI webmaster will cull from those reviews to
post on the web site.

On P5, the Council voted to accept the work items and schedule proposed in
Sebastian Rahtz's email to the council, dated Mon, 24 Jun 2002 00:25:15
+0100.  Sebastian will contact Peter Robinson (or Syd) to talk about
fitting in a report on these items at MM2002--particularly Son of ODD, and
the general outlines of revision for P5.  Thanks to Sebastian for drafting
a schedule and overview of tasks.

On MSS description, Merrilee and Matthew expect to be able to provide a
completed report and set of recommendations by MM2002, and the Council
expects to vote on them, as integrated into P4 by Lou, at its January
meeting.  JU offered funding for travel, if it were necessary to complete
this work.  Thanks to Merrilee and Matthew, and also esp. to Consuelo
Dutschke, for moving this process along.

On character encoding: Lou estimates that this workgroup will keep to its
schedule, producing a draft report by MM2002, and a final set of
recommendations by the January Council meeting.  Thanks to Christian
Wittern for keeping the group on task and on time.

On stand-off markup, little progress so far, but David's planning
conference calls on a regular schedule beginning next week.  JU will
inquire as to the feasibility of this workgroup's keeping to the original
schedule, of a workplan by August 1, a draft report by MM2002, and a final
report by the January Council meeting.

Future meetings:  Council agreed to stick to one F2F meeting a year, with a
conference call every few months, on a regular schedule.  Next call should
come in late sept/early october (Perry agrees to host again), to plan for
presentations at the MM2002.  Thereafter, probably April, June,
October.  JU will set a date for the next call, and begin arranging a
location for the Jan. meeting (London?)