TEI-MS and MASTER

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed May 22 10:02:05 EDT 2002

Dear Consuelo

Apologies if my remark offended: no slight was intended -- I do
distinctly remember approaching Merrilee before the Pisa meeting in
Nov and asking her to present the two dtds to the members meeting,
which she duly did, and which I assume was done with your knowledge!
During the council meeting after the presentations, Matthew made the
proposal which I was referring to, and which I must say I thought
Merrilee agreed to at the time (she was certainly present, as a member
of the council, as she was when the matter was touched on again at the
London meeting of the council). But I may be mistaken, and of course,
she is in any case fully entitled to change her mind, as are you to
propose some other course of action.

The one thing we cannot, in my view, continue to have is two DTDs. We
need to have a single set of proposals for incorporation into P5. I
don't think this is a difficult task to achieve -- it just needs
someone to get down to resolving the (really rather few) discrepancies
between the two. I would offer to do it myself, or ask Syd, but I
think this would confuse the matter when we come to do the integration
into P5 (with our TEI Editors' hats on), and in any case I think it's
important that both workgroups should have ownership of the proposal.

Whom would you suggest if Merrilee is not available? How about Eva
Nylander? Or do you think the idea of trying to reconcile the two
DTDs is dead in the water?

best wishes

Lou