new section for P4 on HTML linking

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Mar 9 16:23:06 EST 2002

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 02:03:21PM -0500, Syd Bauman wrote:

> > ... it also depends on the ability to define and embed external
> > entity declarations, which may not be appropriate in an XML
> > processing environment.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this.

I suspect Lou thinks XML processors may not read the DTD subset;
which is not true. They must read the DTD subset, but they
do not have to read the DTD (so NOTATIONS declared in the DTD
may not be read). Its also true to say that XML people may
get used to no DTDs, or Schemas, and the whole DTD subset thing
may be simply strange to them.

I'd say

 ... it also depends on the mechanism of defining and embedding external
 entity declarations in a DTD subset, which may not be appropriate in some XML
 processing environments.

> [2] I just started to wonder if my use of a character reference to
>     the trademark symbol is covered by the same rules & regulations
>     as use of the symbol itself, and if so, is it illegal to use it
>     for a phrase that is not, in fact, trademarked? Hope I don't get
>     arrested or sued.

its ok, you have simply been added to the axis of evil. the bombers
will call at dawn.