new section for P4 on HTML linking

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at brown.edu
Sat Mar 9 14:03:21 EST 2002

> As actioned in London, ... text for ... how HTML-style linking
> should be represented in TEI documents.

Yay!

Sebastian objects to the use of "HTML" as an adjective. I agree, but
I think I'd prefer "HTML-style links". Perhaps you can find a better
wording for the whole clause; I haven't come up with one.

c/wide take-up/widespread adoption/ ?

> format) ... HTML documents may also be linked to in this way.

Sebastian points out that "HTML ... way." is redundant. While I think
he's correct, I think a little redundancy here is good. Perhaps
toning it down a bit would help, though. The following suggestion
also allows "either way" to be closer to the dichotomy it refers to:

   format, including HTML) should be done by means of the
   some text is to be supplied to identify the title of the intended
   link, the latter if it is not. In either case, it is the
   responsibility of the processor ...

Why use P3 as an example? At least P4, no? Or perhaps the archives of
this discussion? :-)

> <!ENTITY TEIP3 SYSTEM "http://www.tei-c.org/TEI/Guidelines/" NDATA HTML>
> ]]</eg>

pqr> if HTML is declared as a notation ...

Indeed. Should we go so far as to provide NOTATION declarations for
HTML (and perhaps XML, WSD, and FSD)?

I think users might be more comfortable if the example included an
explicit document, e.g. "http://duck.org/bill/platypus.html#Quack".
It also might be nice if the example were real. There is no element
with name=SAPT in http://www.tei-c.org/TEI/Guidelines/index.html,
There is, however, in http://www.tei-c.org/TEI/Guidelines/SA.htm.
(But it would be more apropos to use #SAXR, which is the name= of the
section on extended pointers, anyway.)

> there exists somewhere within it an element whose <att>id</att>
> attribute has the value <code>SAPT</code>) ...

Not quite correct, although perhaps this is one of those cases where
being completely correct is too confusing to be worth it. For any
target (all targets should be SGML or XML, whether HTML, TEI, or some
other DTD), the assumption is that there exists within the target
document an element which has as the value of its attribute of
declared type ID the value "SAPT". In HTML such attributes are named
name=; in TEI they are named id=; in the FOOBAR DTD they are named
snafu=.

> as value for an external entity.
   ^^^
At least need to insert the definite article "the". Might be better
to explain what the problem with it is:

  Note that it is illegal to supply a URL that is anything other than
  a pointer to a document (like the example above, which includes a
  [1]) as value for an external entity.

> entity declarations, which may not be appropriate in an XML
> processing environment.

I'm not sure I understand this.

> <!DOCTYPE TEI.2 PUBLIC "" ""[
> <!ENTITY % TEI.prose "INCLUDE">
> <!ENTITY % TEI.linking "INCLUDE">
> <!ATTLIST %n.xptr; url CDATA #IMPLIED>
> <!ATTLIST %n.ref; url CDATA #IMPLIED>
> ]>
> ]]></eg>

Need FPI, system identifier, TEI.XML declaration, and whitespace
clean-up. I can take care of all this for you when you're done with
the basics.

temporarily forgotten that the recipient list is the Council not
TEI-L.

Speaking of which, there are 2 members of the Council who are not on
TEI-L, and only 2 who are on TEI-TECH (not the same 2 :-). While I'm
sure it's not a requirement for membership in the Council, I think it would
be a Good Thing&#x2122; for y'all to be on these lists.[2] If nothing
else, it would certainly make discussing issues raised on those lists
with the Council easier.

-----
[1] Whatever you call the thing after the "#" in a URL. I scanned
    through the URL spec (http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/
    url-spec.html) for a while but didn't figure it out.
[2] I just started to wonder if my use of a character reference to
    the trademark symbol is covered by the same rules & regulations
    as use of the symbol itself, and if so, is it illegal to use it
    for a phrase that is not, in fact, trademarked? Hope I don't get
    arrested or sued.