extended pointers for P4

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun Feb 17 18:57:56 EST 2002

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 06:45:13PM -0500, John Unsworth wrote:

> I'm disinclined to do something that will break existing documents, in
> P4.  We are reserving that option (and likely will exercise it) in P5, but
> we have gone to some lengths, I think, to avoid breakage in P4, and I think
> we should stick with that policy.

I'd normally agree 100%, but once you start reading that
section of the Guidelines with XML in mind, it stands out
as being plain weird. Since we can't expect P5 for another
18 months (anyone dare disagree?), I think we should
enter the XML world now with a firm step.

Let's have a quick poll - does anyone on this list use TEI
extended pointers in their files? if so, would the switch
to lower-case only ruin your life?