extended pointers for P4

John Unsworth jmu2m at virginia.edu
Sun Feb 17 18:45:13 EST 2002

At 11:08 PM 2/17/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 03:38:07PM -0500, Syd Bauman wrote:
> >
> > So -- what does the Council think? On the issue of case of location
> > types, should we
> >
> > b) change to case sensitive, always lower case;
>yes please.

I'm disinclined to do something that will break existing documents, in
P4.  We are reserving that option (and likely will exercise it) in P5, but
we have gone to some lengths, I think, to avoid breakage in P4, and I think
we should stick with that policy.  Tomaz says:

>It does break existing documents, but as they will be broken anyway because
>the tag names will become case sensitive, I think it is the least evil
>choice.

but I'm not sure that existing documents would be broken by the possibility
of case-sensitivity in an XML version of the TEI DTD, whereas it seems to
me they would be broken by a requirement of case sensitivity in the SGML
version of the TEI DTD.  If that assessment is off, I have no doubt someone
will let me know.

> > On the issue of whitespace should we
> >
> > a) make no changes, leave the whitespace required;
> > b) make the whitespace between location types and location values,
> >    and between parenthesized steps, optional.
>
>how about c), make white space disallowed?
>
>I sort of incline to a), you might be surprised to hear.
>Just so as to keep the number of variables as small as possible.

On the same principle, I think b), above, is less likely to break things.

John