Document tcm01 (minutes from London)

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun Feb 3 05:31:43 EST 2002

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 07:22:16PM -0500, Syd Bauman wrote:
> certainly there may well be areas for which the relavant standard
> does not apply to our users. E.g., it may turn out that MathML is
> quite useful for writing modern equations to be typeset, but not
> nearly so useful for encoding the works of 17th century mathema-
> ticians.

ince the first part of MathML is descriptive in the same
way that TeX is, I'd be surprised. but I take the point

> [1] A tangent, not for the minutes:
> 	I'd just like to make sure that everyone knows how to easily get
> 	customized parent and children lists. After simply loading a TEI
> 	file in Emacs/psgml mode (you do use Emacs with psgml, don't
> 	you?)

you said it. the man in the street probably doesn't.

if I may be apocalyptic, emacs+psgml is dead in the water
unless someone who really knows elisp takes it by the scruff of the
neck and makes it grok schemas of some kind.

> 	you like. The lists created address some of Lou's and my concerns
> 	about false information, in that at least the lists are custom-
> 	ized to the currently selected tagsets for the document

fwiw, the lists now in P4 are done with the same philosophy, viz
taking a TEI instance, and deriving a flat DTD which can be
taken to pieces (I go via Relax NG, but thats just to amuse myself)

of course, it only solves the problem of the lists for *elements*. To get
the parents and children for element classes is not at all so easy!

> 	Sending these lists to the user (whether generated by Emacs or
> 	some other process)

I am assuming that PizzaNG will offer customized documentation of this
type. Apropos of which, there has not been much discussion of where PizzaNG
is going to come from, who is going to do it, how we pay for it, and what its spec is.
Does anyone want to discuss this? My assumption at present is that I
will be working on it, but I have not gone much further than the thought.