Document tcm01 (minutes from London)

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at brown.edu
Sat Feb 2 19:22:16 EST 2002

Cheers to Geoffrey for writing, and to Stuart and Lou for convert-
ing so nicely the meeting minutes. We might do well to package up
TCM.dtd, TCM.ent, and the stylesheets used to generate HTML as a
"TEI for meeting minutes" package.

<!ENTITY tcm01
                 SYSTEM 'http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/tcm01.xml'
                 NDATA XML >

The first sentence of <xref doc="tcm01" from="id (I2.1) child ( 2
p )">the 2nd para of 2.1 "Review of P4"</xref> is missing a bit: the
changes Lou listed (148 done, 6 outstanding -- of which Lou & I
solved a few the following Monday in Oxford) were changes made *to
examples* (i.e., not to the prose or DTD) *since Pisa* in an attempt
to ensure that all examples that are supposed to be valid TEI XML are
so. There have certainly been other changes, too, but we haven't kept
as detailed track of them. (We don't generally keep detailed track of
changes except, of course, that Perforce, the version control system,
keeps track of each & every one.)

Section <xref doc="tcm01" from="id (I2.2)">2.2, "Element Parent
Child Issue"</xref> makes no mention of the "wasted paper" objec-
tion.[1]

The <xref doc="tcm01" from="id (I3.3) child (4 p 1 list 2 item)">2nd
item of the general strategy for P5 list</xref> makes it sound like
we won't look at isues for which there already exist guidelines or
standards. My understanding is that we would look at such issues with
the hope of finding that the available guidelines or standards are
useful in our context, and thus not need to reinvent a wheel. But
certainly there may well be areas for which the relavant standard
does not apply to our users. E.g., it may turn out that MathML is
quite useful for writing modern equations to be typeset, but not
nearly so useful for encoding the works of 17th century mathema-
ticians.

Notes
-----
[1] A tangent, not for the minutes:
        I'd just like to make sure that everyone knows how to easily get
        customized parent and children lists. After simply loading a TEI
        file in Emacs/psgml mode (you do use Emacs with psgml, don't
        you?), enter the sgml-list-content-elements and sgml-list-occur-
        in-elements commands, each of which is accesible in one of three
        ways:
                M-x sgml-list-content-elements
                DTD > Info > List content elements
                ESC ` d I c
        and
                M-x sgml-list-occur-in-elements
                DTD > Info > List occur in elements
                ESC ` d I o
        The lists are generated in a new buffer, which you can save if
        you like. The lists created address some of Lou's and my concerns
        about false information, in that at least the lists are custom-
        ized to the currently selected tagsets for the document (remember
        to reparse the prolog with C-c C-p if you make changes to the
        document type declaration), even if they obviously tell you
        nothing about a particular context.
        Sending these lists to the user (whether generated by Emacs or
        some other process) is what I had in mind when we were discussing
        what is now <xref doc="tcm01" from="id (AI6)">action item
        6</xref>.
[2] The astute reader will realize that the location ladders provided
        herein as the value of from= aren't quite right: P3 requires that
        the keywords (ID and CHILD) be in uppercase. Well, I thought they
        were easier to read in lower case; if anyone actually has soft-
        ware that processes these things I will happily change them to
        uppercase in trade for the software.