Jan. 12 meeting reminder, details, agenda

Tone Merete Bruvik tone.bruvik at hit.uib.no
Mon Jan 7 04:54:22 EST 2002

Dear council,

I did not think I was supposed to attend the London meeting, and as I
have not book a ticket it would be very difficult for me to join at
the last minute. But, I asked John to put the ESTATE item on your
agenda for the meeting, and it might be in that connection John was
expecting me in London.

Please let me say a few words about the project, and please observe
that the links John send you are outdated:

Together with Peter Robinson, I am writing an EU proposal for a
project called ESTATE. We would like to ask the council to write a
letter of recommendation for this project, and more specific to put
set up one or two working groups that will partly be sponsored by the
ESTATE project:

- TEI workgroup on primary text cataloguing, in the areas of
incunables and documentary texts (letters, historical documents,
etc.). This will build on the MASTER standard and recommendations
from the TEI work group for the Description of Medieval and
Renaissance Manuscripts, which already provides most of the elements
and structure needed for such encoding.

- TEI workgroup on primary text representation, in the form of
transcriptions and editions of the texts themselves. This workgroup
will focus particularly on the problems posed by 'genetic texts':
authorial manuscripts showing many overlays of revision.

The ESTATE project will found the participation from the partners in
the ESTATE project, but the workgroups will be under TEI control and
may last longer than the 24 months we are planning for the ESTATE
project.

You may found more information about the ESTATE project at:

http://helmer.hit.uib.no/xml/ESTATE/

The user name is "ESTATE", and the password "estate"

Please look in the part C of the proposal
(http://helmer.hit.uib.no/xml/ESTATE/ESTATE_C.html) to find the list
of partners (the http://www.hit.uib.no/TEI/ESTATE/parters.html is
outdated) You will se from the list of partners that two of the
participants at the London meeting, are also involved: Matthew
Driscoll and Lou Burnard.

You will also see that the proposal is currently a draft, and the
council may need further information in order to decide if you would
like to support this proposal. The deadline for the proposal is the
last week of February.

Any comments and suggestions from the council and its members to the
proposal are of course very welcome.

Your sincerely
Tone Merete Bruvik