Re: On Eternal Recurrence

Hulki Forta (forta@superonline.com)
Mon, 12 Aug 2097 14:57:37 +0300

----------
> From: Steven E. Callihan <callihan@callihan.seanet.com>
> To: nietzsche@jefferson.village.virginia.edu
> Subject: Re: On Eternal Recurrence
> Date: 09 Ašustos 1997 Cumartesi 19:15
> Of course, he "trumps" this account by asserting that it too is necessary
> and fated, etc. I'm not sure that Nietzsche is a strict determinist,
> however. He asserts, for instance, that there is neither a free nor an
> unfree will, because there is no will at all. In some other respects, he
> would seem to anticipate quantum mechanics, denying the materiality of
the
> atom, for instance, stating that it is the ultimate projection of the
> subject into "things," for instance, in other words, a fiction. With
that,
> any kind of deterministic materialism that might be ascribed to
Nietzsche's
> thinking goes right out the window.
>
> I'm not convinced that Nietzsche's experiments in trying to prove the ER
as
> a physical theory are entirely serious, in that they necessarily assume,
as
> you point out, the materiality of the atom as a fixed entity, a concept
that
> he clearly and consistently disputes elsewhere. Rather, my feeling is
that
> they are attempts largely to assemble arguments of the sort, "Assuming a
> finite amount of matter (number of atoms), it follows...", knowing full
well
> that the whole argument depends upon the materiality of the atom, which
he
> of course rejects. It may be an argument he is cooking up, in other
words,
> in order to be able to serve it up to those who _do_ believe in the
> materiality of the atom.

Because I am a hardcore materialist, I have trouble in understanding how
someone can reject the materiality of the atom. From what I've read, N
seemed to be more a materialist than he is an idealist.

> Your English is quite good. And yes, since discussion on this list is
> carried on in English, the lingua franca of the Web it seems, it is easy
> forget that Fred was a _German_ philosopher. How does TSZ come across in
> Turkish!? How did you come to reading Nietzsche? School? By accident?
What
> do your friends think?
>
> Steve C.

TSZ I've read sounded poetic and powerful. I think it was a good
translation.
I've always been a good reader. In high school, I was interested in
philosophy and a friend of mine recommended N. He is quite popular here.
More than any philosopher, especially among the university students.

--- from list nietzsche@lists.village.virginia.edu ---