Zarathusta's Dwarf's Dwarf (fwd)

Spoon Collective (spoons@jefferson.village.virginia.edu)
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 22:13:20 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 20:27:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Steven E. Callihan" <callihan@callihan.seanet.com>
To: nietzsche@jefferson.village.Virginia.EDU
Subject: Zarathusta's Dwarf's Dwarf

Paul S. Rhodes wrote:

>...and, therefore, Nietzsche declares poetry to be the winner in the age
>old quarrel between it and philosophy, if only by default.

And this is the only thing in this whole post that has _any_ relation
whatsoever to my original post on "Truth and Poetry" and is an entirely
u*su*tantiated assertion of fact on your part (as is your regular and
usual
habit) that can in no way be supported in any shape, fashion, or form by the
quote I originally provided, being (as is also your regular and usual habit)
a complete and entirely deliberate distortion and mischaracterization. The
real point, of course, as should be completely obvious, was simply to step
on and hijack the post in question (as is also your regular and ususl habit
relative to virtually anything _I_ might happen to post to the list).

>I might be
>willing to give this declaration credence, had N. been a better poet or
>even if there were even a grain of truth to his megalomaniac claims about
>Zarathustra.

This is simply piling crap on top of crap.

>I am thinking in particular about this claim in which N. puts
>himself over and above the pantheon of the literary greats: Dass ein
>Goethe, ein Shakespeare nicht einen Augenblick in dieser ungeheuren
>Leidenschaft und Hoehe zu atmen wissen wuerde, dass Dante, gegen
>Zarathustra, bloss ein Glaeubiger ist und nicht Einer, der die Wahrheit
>erst schafft, ein weltregierender Geist, ein Schicksal--, dass die Dichter
>des Veda Priester sind und nicht einmal wuerdig, die Schuhsohlen eines
>Zarathustra zu loesen, das ist Alles das Wenigste und giebt keinen Begriff
>von der Distanz, von der azurnen Einsamkeit, in der dies Werk lebt (ECCE
>HOMO, Also Sprach Zarathustra, 6).

Apart from not providing any actual commentary or interpretation here, let
alone a translation, you also entirely ignore the particular context of this
quote (also a regular and usual habit of yours), which is that it is from
_Ecce Home_ in which Nietzsche has obviously chosen to deliberately write in
an extremely hyperbolic (and Hyperborean) mode, hoping in fact, as far as I
can tell, to fish out _idiots_ exactly like yourself. I can only say that he
has admirably succeeded. However, from abundant past experience I know
perfectly well that it is absolutely pointless to argue the point (about the
importance of contextualization in reading Nietzsche) with you, as it is
obviously absolutely futile to argue _any point whatsoever_ with you in that
all you ever do is simply repeat _ad hominen_ attacks _ad nauseum_ without
ever, during the whole time you have been on this list, having _even once_
bothered to honestly respond to anything that anybody might have happened to
post in return. Whatever anybody else might have to say in return, you just
completely ignore it, choosing instead, in each and every case, to just pile
more crap on top of crap.

You have the intellectual conscience of a meal worm. Compared to you,
Zarathustra's dwarf could only be mistaken for the Uebermensch! I consider
your behavour on this list to be completely insulting--mind you I am
speaking here entirely for myself and on my own part, without any pretense
whatsoever of speaking for the list, or for anybody else on the list. I've
warned you once, and I'm warning you again--do not "step on" or seek to
hijack any more of my posts, or you will rue it. As far as this post is
concerned, I don't give a fuck what you've got to say. (Sorry, Eric, this
thread stops here as far as I'm concerned.)

Disrespectfully yours,

Steve Callihan

--- from list nietzsche@jefferson.village.virginia.edu ---